Hello, hello! As promised yesterday, here is said yummy, easy, and healthy recipe!
Although my sugar detox
was a fail is over, we are still eating plenty healthy over here. Anything Italian always sounds good to me but I wasn’t in a heavy pasta dish mood. I hadn’t made eggplant parm in ages and that sounded nice for a light dinner.
This recipe comes together quickly and doesn’t require of a lot of clean up if you clean as you go. I had dinner ready in about 40 minutes and the kitchen clean. That’s a keeper in my book!
EGGPLANT PARMESAN VEGGIE BAKE
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zuchinni
- 1 package mushrooms of your choice (I used baby white)
- 1 28 0z. jar of marinara
- 1 8 0z. package of shredded mozarella cheese
- 1 cup (or more) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Set up a dipping station to make the breaded eggplant. Put 2 eggs in a bowl and lightly beat. Place 1 cup of breadcrumbs or so on a plate. Add 1/2 cup of parmesan and mix. Add Italian seasoning if breadcrumbs are unseasoned.
3. Slice eggplant into quarter inch thick pieces. Dip eggplant slices into egg, coating on both sides. Then dip into breadcrumb/parm mixture. Place on a baking sheet.
4. When sheet is full, bake the eggplant for 10 minutes. While this is baking, slice the mushrooms and zuchinni. Saute mushroom and zuchinni in a large skillet heated with olive oil. Season with Italian seasoning and pepper, if desired.
5. After 10 minutes, flip eggplant to other side and bake another 10 minutes or until the parmesan cheese is very crispy.
6. Prepare a 9 x 13 glass or baking dish by spreading a thin layer of the marinara on the bottom. Place the eggplant on top.
Then top with a little of the mozzarella and a little more sauce. Add sauteed veggies on top. Finish topping with remaining sauce and cheese. Top the whole thing with the remaining parmesan & a few shakes of the Italian seasoning.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve & enjoy!
This recipe is also really versatile. Next time, I think I would try adding an onion and bell pepper as well. I had this stand alone with some salad on the side, but it would be good over pasta or with a grain for a more filling meal.